Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chocolate, wool, and differentiating myself from a doormat.

The only time better than the weeks leading up to Easter are the days after Easter when all the candy is on sale.
Photobucket
I don't actually eat sweets very much at all, so this bag will last me a few weeks. They will be an awesome few weeks.

Today i got a surprize visit from my fabulous and lovely boyfriend, N. (yep, i'm gonna do it Gossip Girl style with the names, people. Deal.) Usually we never get to see eachother on wednesdays because of our conflicting class times, but some of his classes were concelled today so we made these:
Photobucket

Nom Nom Nom.

Okay, enough about food.

Here's what i DID NOT wear today because it is still freezing, but will be wearing as soon as possible:
Photobucket
I got that wool skirt at Gap on sunday for SIX DOLLARS! loooooooves it. The shirt is just from Suzy Shier and the gold chains are vintage from my Great-Grandmother. My face is terribly unfortunate in this picture but oh well. It's meant to show the skirt more than anything (SIX.DOLLARS.GAP. WOOL.), which is about a size too big so i may alter it so i can wear it higher-waisted.

On to some more serious issues.
I was a good feminist yesterday.

First of all, i discovered recently that the company i work for (a small Canadian jewellery store) has not been paying us properly. For example, if i work 35 hours and 30 minutes in two weeks, they pay me for 35.3 hours, which is very different from what i actually worked: 35.5 hours (because thirty minutes is .5 of an hour, get it?). I showed this to my manager a number of weeks ago and she took a few small steps to get it straightened out, but the head of the company didn't do anything about it, and said she "didn't know what we were talking about". So yesterday, my manager tries yet again to get through to the head of the company, but is shot down once again. I decided to take matters into my own hands because
1. i have been losing up to 2 or 3 dollars per paycheque for TWO YEARS, and
2. because the principle of not being paid properly in the year 2009 discusts and disturbs me.
I spoke to the head of the company for about half an hour until she finally listened to me/told me she understood what i was talking about and was going to look into it.

I was proud of myself for being the one to stand up to the head of the company (i literally had to say "No, H, you're not understanding what i'm telling you. This is what is wrong..."), but i am a little bit frustrated with the fact that none of the other girls i work with really cared that they were being exploited... In fact, i almost felt as though i was looked down upon for caring about this issue. Uh, HELLO, DUMB BITCHES?! I just made it so you would make more money. wtf.

After this, i went to my philosophy class. I hate philosophy, and my professor is blatantly arrogant. Yesterday, he laughed in the face of a girl who provided a simple opinion when he asked the class for their opinionated responses, and purposefully and unabashedly ridiculed her in front of the entire 100+ person class. During the break, i approached her and was like "holy shit, he was such a dick to you, etc." and we talked about what happened in the line for the bathroom. Eventually, other girls joined in, expressing their distaste for his sexism, arrogance, rudeness, and poor teaching. It got to a point where girls were yelling "AND HE'S GETTING FAT, TOO!" out of bathroom stalls. It was glorious.

Going along with these stories, here is an excellent quote that i have been living my life by:

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; i only know that people call me a feminist whenever i express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."
-Rebecca West, 1913.

Perfect.

before it dies, here is a picture of the beautiful rose i recieved from N on saturday, "Just Because" <3
Photobucket

Love Always,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Awww Amy your blog is so good so far! I am proud of you for sticking it to the man (or men, whatever).
    And holy crap, six bucks is a good deal!


    Anyway, I know you dont want to get into a big discussion about this but I wanted to leave one link I thought was interesting from a feminist blog: http://www.womanist-musings.com/2009/03/chris-and-rihanna-violence-we-dont-talk.html
    There, that's the last I'm mentionning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this on someone's link list and I'm so inspired!
    NUMBER ONE: I work at the Gap and I am being completely honest, you are the ONLY person who has managed to make that skirt look good. Not even good, but CLASSY. It honestly looked like crap on most people, thus the great deal, and it actually blows my mind how amazing it looks on you.
    NUMBER TWO: I'm terrified of my manager... what you did was beyond courageous. It's so true that even if you're doing something good people gang up against you anyways for being loud! You have no idea how many times I get ridiculed for... caring about Darfur? Society is embarrassing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete